ABOUT THE TOUR:
Guided tour reservations are strongly advised. Tours are often fully booked in advance.
Mistaken Point guided tours include a 45 minute (3 km one way) coastal hike along a gently rolling path. Our path winds along barrens and coastline, and is rated as a moderate difficulty hiking trail. Interpreters will accompany you on a walk through history to Mistaken Point. With interpretation on our natural species, weather, heritage, and, of course paleontology and geology, there is something for everyone to enjoy along the way as we hike to this world class fossil site.
Here are a few tips on how to make the most out of your visit to Mistaken Point:
- –Book ahead. Guided tours tend to fill up quickly.
- -Arrive at the Edge of Avalon Interpretive Centre at 12:00 pm on the day of the tour.
- –Dress warmly (or have extra gear at the ready). There is a high probability you will encounter a combination of cool, windy, wet and/or and foggy conditions
- -Total time involved is 3½ – 4 hours. This includes a 30 minute (one way) drive in your own vehicle to the trail head, our 6 km round trip hike to the fossil site, and time spent enjoying the fossils.
- -Return time is approximately 4:30 pm at the Edge of Avalon Interpretive Centre, Portugal Cove South.
- -Sections of the trail can be muddy, wet and slippery. Hikers are advised to use caution in these areas.
- –Proper hiking footwear and rainwear are recommended. Sandals are not permitted.
- -It is a good idea to bring water, a snack, and binoculars (for wildlife viewing, if you desire).
- -Please note there are no washroom facilities in the Reserve once the tour commences.
- -Keep a safe distance from coastal rocks – they can be slippery and erosion from foot traffic can damage the internationally important fossils below
- –Dogs are not permitted on guided tours
BOOKING YOUR TOUR:
Guided tours to view the fossils are available daily from mid-May – mid-October. Contact Mistaken Point Interpretation staff to book your tour by calling (709)-438-1011, or email at email@example.com
Tours begin at the Edge of Avalon Interpretive Centre in Portugal Cove South (located on Route 10, the Irish Loop Drive – a 2 hour drive south of St. John’s).
For more information about Mistaken Point click here